Sunday 26 July 2015

Como Una Cabra 1

When you translate ‘Estar como una cabra‘ directly it means, ‘to be like a goat’ which sounds pretty weird – but thats the point! In Spanish it is said when someone or something is a little strange, bizarre or out of the ordinary. Mostly this term is used in a funny way, if someone is acting crazy or extra silly that day – ‘esta noche estás como una cabra.” (tonight you are a little crazy!)
Your friendly neighbourhood travel guide,
-Citylife Madrid

I love idioms, so when I decided to start a Spanish Language Learning comic strip I looked for a good one to use as a title. Como Una Cabra seemed to fit the bill.

Before I introduce the comic though, I want to give a major shout out to the people at Plasq, who have created the amazing Comic Life software. It is spectacularly good.

I'm using the 30 day free trial download at the moment, but there is no doubt in my mind at all that I'll be shelling out the $30 dollars to keep using it. Yep, $30! That's all, and when you see what I (a non-designer, non-comic artist, non-genius) have done with it, you'll see how great that price is. Better still, this is  their response to a question about commercial use:

Hello there!
Yes, most definitely! Anything you create using Comic Life, you retain ownership (as long as the source images are yours/licensed) and can use and sell for commercial production.
...
Thanks Very Much!

There are a few comic strip creators online, but many of them have carefully defined limits on what you can do with them. Not so with Comic Life. Hurrah!

Anyway, with that enthusiastic plug out of the way...

May I introduce Como Una Cabra, Issue 1!

The theory is that over the next couple of years I'll be covering most, if not all, of the topics and themes covered in first, second and third year of Spanish learning. I'm aiming to use no English in the comic, so that language is encountered in an approximation of real life, with visual context to give meaning.

We'll see how that goes.

Comments welcome below, and if you have a go at using Comic Life I would also LOVE to see what you come up with!











No comments:

Post a Comment